Monday, April 14, 2008

Patient sort of crazy

OK, so I’m going crazy. It’s the patience sort of crazy. I’m anxiously, eagerly, patiently waiting for May 1. That is the day resumes are due at a particular church. Soon after, I will know when I get to interview for the position. In the meantime, I’m interviewing for other positions, but this particular church is screaming at me. Why? I don’t know. As I’ve read some articles written by the staff on the website, I’m struck by the fact that they are looking for the person God has hand-picked for that position. I’m struck by the fact that they are stepping out of the Lutheran box to reach people with the message of Jesus Christ. I’m struck by the fact that the high school is located 2 blocks from the church. I’m struck by plenty of other facts as well, but too many to be named here.

And then I think about my story of how I ended up in a position where I’m looking for a job as a youth director. Could it be? I don’t really know. All I know is that in my third month of band directing, I wanted my students in my youth group instead of in my band program. It took me a year and a half to realize that God was calling me into youth ministry, but what did I decide to do? Pursue a Master of Divinity degree which would have led to my being a pastor someday. Yes, I thought that would allow me to do just about anything. As this year has unfolded, I’ve discovered that’s not the case. It has also become abundantly clear (although at this point in time abundantly unclear where God will plant me next year) that God has called me into youth ministry. When I put together my resume and actually saw everything I’ve done in the last several years, it screams youth ministry. When I read about such and such a church, it screams at me, but I continue to ask God to work things out in His will, no matter how things unfold this summer.

No comments: