Sunday, February 10, 2008

Mike Huckabee and "The West Wing"

Today I was at Hastings for the annual Swingin' on the River show choir competition. As my uncle and I were sitting and resting after their evening performance, we found ourselves reading the Hastings paper. I read an interesting opinion article about a guy wondering if the final season of "The West Wing" would play out this year in the presidential election. He compared Barack Obama to the TV show's Matt Santos and John McCain to the TV show's Arnold Vinick. As I have been watching that show on DVD during this election season, I have to say I disagree with him. OK, now normally I don't like to talk about politics and who I'm voting for because A) I hardly ever really get super excited about a candidate, and B) I don't need to get into political arguments because in the game of ministry it's not about me but about the person I'm ministering to. Having said that, this year I have a candidate I'm excited about: Mike Huckabee, and it's not because he's a former pastor. It's because he's an underdog in the race. Mike Huckabee, in my mind, compares to Matt Santos. In the final episode of season 6 of the show, Matt Santos was heavily encouraged by the party leaders to bow out of the campaign for president so the party could unite behind a candidate. As he addressed the convention one final time, he told them he couldn't because it's not the job of the party leaders to elect a president but the job of the people. Mike Huckabee is saying the same thing this year, but not only about the Republican party. He's also saying it about the news media and pundits. I think it's so funny that people don't understand what's going on with Huckabee and yet I fully believe God does. Huckabee is giving people a chance to voice their opinion and I think that is absolutely awesome. He's working his way up from the bottom and from the looks of his website, fundraising has skyrocketed. I like Mike!

No comments: