Friday, February 22, 2008

Decision theology with a Lutheran lens

This morning I was in my Lutheran Confessions precept. Our assignment was to write up a question in less than a page relating to something we read. A couple of my friends and I believe a case is to be made for decision theology, meaning faith isn't something that is forced upon a person. Needless to say, I read some things in Luther's Large Catechism which led me to believe there is a case to be made for decision theology in the eyes of Luther. Our professor basically summed up her answer to our questions by saying faith is not a work, but a gift. My question to that statement was whether or not that gift should be received. Our professor said the Holy Spirit creates reception of the gift. I sought clarification by asking if the Holy Spirit draws us to the place where we can only decide to follow Christ, a place where we can't choose to not follow Christ. She told me yes. It took me 2 seconds to realize that that answer worked for me. It really isn't so much about our "decision" to accept Christ, but about the Holy Spirit bringing us to the place of conviction where the choice to follow Christ is our only option.

No comments: