Monday, December 3, 2007

Martin Luther quotes and reflections

Consciences should be carefully taught to understand the doctrine of the distinction between the righteousness of the Law and that of grace. The righteousness of grace simply does not pertain to the flesh. For the flesh must not be free but must stay in the grave, in the prison, and on the couch. It must be subjected to the Law and be disciplined by the Egyptians. But the Christian conscience must be dead to the Law, that is, free from the Law, and must have no business with it. This important and basic doctrine does much to comfort afflicted consciences. Therefore when you see a man terrified and saddened by a consciousness of sin, say: “Brother, you are not distinguishing properly. Into your conscience you are putting the Law, which belongs in the flesh. Wake up, get up, and remember that you believe in Christ, the Victor over the Law and sin. With this faith you will transcend the Law and enter into grace, where there is neither Law nor sin. And although the Law and sins still exist, they have nothing to do with you; for you are dead to the Law and to sins.”
This is easy enough to say. But blessed is the man who knows this properly amid a conflict of conscience, who, when sin attacks him and the Law accuses and terrifies him, can say: “Law, what is it to me if you make me guilty and convict me of having committed many sins? In fact, I am still committing many sins every day. This does not affect me; I am deaf and do not hear you. Therefore you are telling your story to a deaf man, for I am deaf to you. But if you really want to argue with me about sins, then go over to my flesh and my limbs, which are my servants. Teach them; discipline and crucify them. But do not trouble my conscience, which is lord and king; for I have nothing to do with you. For I am dead to you; I now live to Christ, where I am under another Law, namely, the Law of grace, which rules over sin and the Law. - Luther's Works on Galatians 2:19.


No Law, no matter how divine or holy, has the right to tell me that I obtain justification and life through it. I will grant that it can teach me that I should love God and my neighbor, and live in chastity, patience, etc.; but it is in no position to show me how to be delivered from sin, the devil, death, and hell. - Luther's Works on Galatians 2:4-5.

I've been reading a lot of Martin Luther lately and I've been thoroughly enjoying all of it. These are just some of the highlights. Luther also talks a little bit about Galatians 2:20, which says, "It is not I who live, but Christ who lives in me." "I" is no longer the subject. "Christ" is now the subject and the "I" that was the subject becomes the "me" that is the object. Therefore, Christ is the subject and I am the object. Never do I want to be the subject of my relationship with Christ, therefore I wake up everyday and apply Galatians 2:20 to my life. I will post the exact quote at a later point in time with clearer thoughts on that idea.

No comments: