Tuesday, March 4, 2008

10 Commandments and Works Righteousness

One of the things I hear at Luther Seminary is that it's all about God and not about us. It's not anything we do that gets us salvation, but everything God does. Basically, works righteousness is not something people speak highly of here at Luther. So then I come to the 10 Commandments in Martin Luther's Small Catechism. Here is what is written at the end of that section.

What does God say of all these Commandments?
He says: "I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast
love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments."
What does this mean for us?
God warns that he will punish all who break these commandments. Therefore we are to fear
his wrath and not disobey him. But he promises grace and every blessing to all who keep
these commandments. Therefore we are to love and trust him, and gladly do what he
commands.

It's obvious to me that this sounds like works righteousness, but I have to remember the order things were placed into the catechism. The commandments lead us to our sin, and the Apostle's Creed leads us to the One who brings us redemption from our sin and our disobedience. I might have more to say about this when I'm more awake.

No comments: