Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Christian first, American second, Republican, Democrat or Independent third

Long title, but as this political season is now in the last month, I have some comments about what I've been reading and hearing. First off, I think it's high time that I officially refer to myself as an Independent. Yes, I am conservative. Yes, I am an Evangelical Christian, but that does not mean I have to always vote for the Republican ticket. This year I am more educated about what is going on around me and have come to the conclusion that if I vote for the Republican ticket, I would be voting for myself instead of people like my parents who have done everything they can to make sure their children and grandchildren have more. I am frustrated with my fellow evangelicals who believe that abortion is the only issue they should be voting for in this election. It seems like it's the only issue in every election. Yes, I do believe life begins at conception, but I also believe that it's the church's responsibility to pray for people they meet who are thinking about having an abortion. Body of Christ, it is our responsibility to work to make the change, not the government's. When I think about people in this world who consider having an abortion, I wonder if they believe God's Word, where we read that God formed us in our mother's womb and knows the number of the hairs on our head. I am worried that many of us within the Body of Christ want to force our conservative convictions onto the rest of society. I don't believe that's the right thing to do. Until God changes the hearts of those who wish to have abortions, all I can do is love them just as they are and pray that God, through the power of the Holy Spirit, will be at work in their hearts to draw them to Himself.

Just my thoughts and my thoughts alone. These are not the thoughts of any other person that I am aware of.

4 comments:

Senior Seminarian said...

I hope that you have approved your message as well!

Good to see you posting. Thanks for your thoughts.

boB

Becky said...

boB,

Yes, I have approved my message.

Anonymous said...

I approve this message, too, Becky! Very well said. Thank you for putting this online. It's so hard for me to convey what I think about this election, so I'll just refer people here. ;-)

I'm also frustrated about those who say that if we DON'T vote Republican, it will be "our fault" that so many abortions happen. What is a biblical way to respond?

Hugs,
~Anne

kelly said...

Becky,

Late in the game, but I feel much the very same way you do.

Abortion is a horror. Unfortunately, politics will never eliminate this horror. And meanwhile, millions of people suffer.