Thursday, May 29, 2008

CPE: Days 2 and 3

Day 2 (May 28):
Day 2 of CPE began with a 3 hour orientation, most of which consisted of stuff we chaplain interns had already heard and discovered on our first day there. As I sat there, I thought even more in depth about how we are all absolutely scared about whether or not we will know who to call in desperate times of need when dealing with patients. It dawned on me that this is not something I am just supposed to push my way through because it's a requirement (though it's not anymore and I'll explain why later, hopefully tomorrow). It's something I'm supposed to experience. It also dawned on me how much I'm going to hate being professional. I feel like who I am as a person and who I am as a professional are two completely different identities. I don't even like the thought of integrating them. Why don't I? Because I don't consider myself a professional person. Hopefully this doesn't become a problem of mine for the entire summer. P.S. Happy Birthday, Jayna!

Day 3 (May 29):
I have a funny feeling I missed the surprise for today. Why? Well, I got a phone call from the pastor at Atonement Lutheran Church in Jamestown, ND at 11:39 this morning. Unfortunately, I was eating lunch so I could attend something called Spiritual Ground Round (I think that's right). This is something that happens once a month. Today we listened to the music group SeVy. (I'll post a link to their website tomorrow. I strongly encourage you to check it out. They're due to release a CD this coming November.) This afternoon, I also got to make my first set of rounds on my assigned floor for the summer. I'm in the geriatrics unit. I had the opportunity to visit with 3 people while on the floor. Everybody else was elsewhere and half of the patients on the list were getting discharged today.
Back to the Jamestown, ND thing. I didn't get the message until about 7p.m. when I turned my phone on. The pastor will definitely be hearing from me tomorrow. It's 50/50 whether or not he is calling to offer me the position. I'm nervously excited right now because I walked out of the interview not knowing one way or another whether or not it was God's perfect fit for me at this point in time.

1 comment:

Senior Seminarian said...

Becks,
Thanks for the posts. A comment on "being professional": My take on professional is that a professional is someone who gets paid for what they are doing (as opposed to being amateur). It goes with the "profession". This does not change who you are in anyway. I think that it is good that you do not consider yourself "professional" because then you can be who are are at all times, the Becky we know and love. I hope this helps and not makes things more confusing.
boB